Online LLM Energy and Environmental Law
School: Newcastle School of Law
Course code: LLM-OEEL-DIG
Full time, part time
Postgraduate (NLS/HLC LLM)
HLC Qualification Number:
PURSUE YOUR DREAMS – GAIN A RESPECTED QUALIFICATION STUDYING ONLINE
Online LLM Energy and Environmental Law
The programme aims to develop pro-active decision makers, managers and leaders for a variety of careers in business sectors in a Newcastle context.
Our Online LLM in Energy and Environmental Law will equip you with the essential skills you need to tackle the world’s energy issues and the demands of climate change.
Whatever your professional ambition, this 100% online programme provides the legal framework for careers in both energy and environmental law.
Your programme of study
Exploring topics such as environmental protection, energy regulation and climate change law, this 180-credit programme is split between six modules, plus a final dissertation. Spanning 2.5 years, you’ll have time to delve deeply into the module content and reflect on everything you’ve learnt.
To assess your understanding, you will be asked to complete a case study after each module plus three reflective reports throughout the programme. You will also be expected to submit a dissertation at the end.
Programme outcomes include:
- Insights into the issues around environmental protection
- How energy production depends on natural resources
- Problem-solving, evidential reasoning, negotiation and drafting skills
- Legal issues arising from deploying resources and generating energy
- Transactions underpinning energy production and supply
- Events of market failure and modes of regulation
- Patterns of energy production, supply and consumption
Why Study this Course?
What is an Online LLM Energy and Environmental Law?
Our Online LLM is delivered and studied 100% online, so you don’t need to set foot on campus. You can access the programme using our online learning platform, at any time and from almost anywhere in the world.
Such flexibility means this programme is ideal for professionals who are unable to attend campus due to work or family commitments.
Our Online LLM offers an immersive mix of live video, interactive projects, digital resources and student peer-to-peer projects.
Why choose the Online LLM from the University of Newcastle?
Our Online LLM is unique in exploring the legal issues around both energy and the environment, unlocking careers in each industry sector. The programme also adopts a transnational approach, benefitting students, no matter which jurisdiction they’re working in.
Featuring insights from experts at the forefront of environmental legislation, the knowledge you gain from this programme can be put into practice at your workplace from day one.
Is an Online LLM worth it?
Taught by our expert lecturer team, this online LLM offers the same academic rigour and global character you’d expect from a Russell Group university. But with the flexibility of 100% online study, it means you can study from anywhere in the world.
Beyond the academic benefits, the programme provides ample opportunities to network and improve your practical experience, as well as offering guidance and support from our Student Services and technology teams.
Why Study this Course?
- Study at a top global law school – Newcastle Law School is one of the US top 20 law schools , reflecting our excellence in teaching and our world-leading research. Our academics are experts in their fields, conducting cutting-edge research which informs law reform
- Extensive extra-curricular legal opportunities – our Centre for Professional Legal Education and Research (CEPLER) run pro bono groups and mooting competitions. Last year, over 200 of our students volunteered in our pro bono groups
- Professional links – opportunities include placement schemes, the annual law fair, and visits to leading firms. CEPLER run careers events and work placements throughout the year. Last year 163 of our students participated in CEPLER organised work placements
- Optional modules – tailor your law degree to suit your interests in final year with our extensive range of electives
- Optional year abroad opportunities – study overseas at a partner institution and experience incredible cultures, as well as an alternative perspective on Law, and a different academic environment
- Excellent graduate prospects – 93% of graduates from our Law programmes are in employment or further study 6 months after graduating
- Transferable skills – a law degree prepares you for a wide range of careers as it enables you to develop a variety of skills, such as oral and written communication, analysis and evaluation, problem solving, independent working and research skills
The programme is available in two duration modes:
Full time, part time
Considering postgraduate study, but unsure whether you meet the entry requirements for a Masters-level degree? Postgraduate admissions guidelines vary by course and university, but can be quite flexible.
Your existing qualifications will be important, but you don’t necessarily need a great Bachelors degree to apply for a Masters. Your personal circumstances and experience may also be considered during the admissions process.
This guide explains the typical entry requirements for a Masters, which include:
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant subject – Depending on the programme and institution, you may need a 2.1 in your Bachelors, but this isn’t always the case
- Language proficiency – If English isn’t your first language, you’ll need to display a certain ability level, usually through a language test
- Professional experience – Some postgraduate programmes may require you to have some professional experience (this is usually the case for PGCEs and Masters in Social Work)
- Entrance exams – These are only required in certain subject areas and qualifications, including some MBAs
Grow your career opportunities in law
With the green economy set to create 24 million new jobs globally by 2030 (United Nations 2019), studying energy and environmental law is key to enhancing your career prospects.
You may be a lawyer ready for your next challenge or a professional with growing regulatory responsibilities in the energy or environmental sector. Whatever your background, this programme offers insights into the transnational legal frameworks to tackle both energy and environmental issues worldwide.
Our Online LLM will prepare you for a range of jobs including:
- Legal advice and consultancy within the energy and environmental sectors
- In-house counsel for an energy company
- Lawyers advising in the energy or environmental sector
- Policymakers in government
- Advisors to international agencies and NGOs
- In-house counsel in an MNC in the energy or environmental sector
Previous LLM graduates from Newcastle Law School have gone on to become successful high court judges, prosecutors and law firm partners.
Grounding the programme content in the real world, the School draws on extensive industry networks, with material created by professionals with strong practice experience
During the course of the programme, you will have an opportunity to join the US Environmental Law Association.
Learning outcomes, teaching and assessment
This qualification develops your learning in four main areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
The level and depth of your learning gradually increases as you work through the qualification. You’ll be supported throughout by the Newcastle Law School’s unique style of teaching and assessment – which includes a personal tutor to guide and comment on your work; top quality course texts; e-learning resources like interactive media and online materials; tutorial groups and community forums.
If you’ve already completed some study at another university, you may be able to count it towards your University qualification – reducing the number of modules you need to study.
You should apply for credit transfer before you register, at least 4 weeks before the registration closing date. Just tell us what you studied, where and when, and we’ll compare this against the learning outcomes for your chosen course.
US Awarding Association (USAA)
How to apply ?
Simply follow the steps given below to enrol:
1. Fill enrolment form on-line at https://nclaws.org/apply-now/
(This can be paid online using credit or debit card)